This program, through the perspectives of gender equality and environmental protection, works with communities, families, and individuals to achieve their dreams. We strive to strengthen their capacity to reduce vulnerability and elevate their quality of life in terms of: food security; agricultural production; communal health; protection and conservation of the environment; and, gender and social equality.
In general, Nicaragua is a country with a high level of sensitivity to natural disasters (such as droughts, earthquakes, hurricanes, etc.) Our communities are located in the dry, tropical, Pacific region of Nicaragua, which suffers from environmental degradation from deforestation and little access to water for daily life, much less for emergencies. CANTERA implements ecological agricultural practices for basic grains, herbs, and fruits that promote the diversification of gardens and land allotments to promote the conservation of the environment and the efficient use of resources. CANTERA organizes and educates rural communities, assisting them in the implementation of development and improvement projects so that they may be more resilient to natural disasters and environmental changes.
Lastly, CANTERA works to improve gender equality, self-esteem, and community participation. Through these themes, communities, families, and individuals are able to recognize themselves as persons who are capable of bringing about development within their communities.
We work in the following areas, bringing direct assistance to 22 rural communities:
- Municipality of Mateare – Department of Managua
- Municipality of Villa El Carmen – Department of Managua
- Municipality of the Ciudad Sandino – Department of Managua
- Belen – Department of Rivas
Some of our projects include:
- Ecological Brigades, groups for 4th – 6th graders in rural schools through which they learn about the care and protection of the environment, communal health, and adaptation to climate change.
- Workshops for adolescents, youth, adults (men and women) so that they may gain awareness for the care and protection of the environment and for the promotion of the human values of gender and social equality.
- Working with teen-age and adult women to improve their self-esteem and participation, reinforcing their abilities to support individual, familial and communal development and strengthening the identity of their gender.
- Working with men to transform and improve their relationships with social and gender equality, and strengthening their capacity for agricultural production.
- Organizing communities through the help of a credit board, seed bank funds, and a Multi-sector Commission to strengthen their organizational, administrative and directive capacities.
Some objectives are:
- Increase food security: Our programs work within socioeconomically and environmentally high-risk areas that are particularly sensitive to climate change.
- Build family gardens
- Diversification of fruit crops, herbs, etc.
- Production of honey
- Organization of seed banks for the production of basic grains
- Planting of quickly regenerating trees for energy reproduction